Wednesday, March 17, 2010

They just don't make 'em like they used to...

0

I just finished watching A Streetcar Named Desire which featured Marlon Brando, who was nominated for his role as Stanley Kowalski, and Vivien Leigh, who won the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role as Blanche DuBois. I was blown away by the quality of acting that was shown in this movie. I love movies, there's just something about them. In high school, the amazing Frank Scelsa started the Film Club, where we sat down, ate snacks and watched movies. We didn't watch just any movies, we watched only the best, like The Godfather. Oh The Godfather, I had never seen it before then and I was blown away, no pun intended. After the few days it took us to watch it, we sat around and talked about it. Frank told us some background about the story and such and also put in his opinion on things, but he always let us lead the conversation.

Last year I watched Casablanca for the first time and "Here's lookin' at you, kid," "Louis, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship." I...I just...can't even...come on!! They don't make them like they used to! I hate to use the title of this post but it's true. I know that a lot of wonderful films have been made recently but they just don't have the same feeling, the same level of class. Everything was different back then. There was no special effects like we have now, or CGI, or even colored film in some cases. I feel the caliber of acting was so much higher. I could go on all day so I'm just going to stop. I need to watch more of the films made in the 30s 40s and 50s.

[Image above starting upper left going clockwise: Bette Davis, Humphrey Bogart, Ingrid Bergman, Katharine Hepburn, Marlon Brando and Cary Grant]

No Response to "They just don't make 'em like they used to..."

Post a Comment